NewsSeptember 11, 2019
Tax Planning TimeNovember 5, 2019
More than 1 million qualifying taxpayers in South Carolina are expected to receive a $50 rebate check later this year from the South Carolina Department of Revenue. Earlier this year, South Carolina lawmakers determined $61 million of the tax dollars generated by the 2018 Mega Millions winner would be used to fund the checks.
Who qualifies for the $50 rebate?
- You must have filed a 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return (SC1040) on or before October 15, 2019, and
- You must have a South Carolina Individual Income Tax liability after credits of at least $50.
What should you expect?
- Rebates will be issued as paper checks by December 2.
- Rebate checks will be mailed to the most recent address we have on file for eligible taxpayers, which is likely the address on your 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return.
- Only one check will be sent per tax return, so married couples who filed a joint return will receive one $50 check.
- If your address changed and you fail to notify the SCDOR by Oct. 15, it may take longer to receive your rebate check.
Nonresidents (taxpayers who don’t live in South Carolina) who filed a 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return and meet the eligibility criteria will also receive a $50 rebate.
Learn more about the $50 rebate and how to find out if you qualify at dor.sc.gov/rebate.